How to Make the Trace of Texas Cocktail

My friend Michael Parker has invented the Trace of Texas cocktail, using Texas-sourced ingredients. I know that cucumber in a cocktail sounds weird but we have served them to many people now and every one of them loved it. My dream is that one day it will be available at bars around the state. Hopefully, in 10 years, you'll be able to walk into a bar in Beaumont, order a Trace of Texas, and the bartender will know how to make it. The recipes are below.  It uses Desert Door sotol because the sotol plant is native to Texas, because it is wild harvested from a ranch near Dryden (i.e. it's not farmed), and because they're committed to sustainability.  By the way, the Desert Door distillery, which is near Austin in Driftwood, Texas, is a very nice place to visit.

There are two versions of the Trace of Texas cocktail, regular and border style. Both are easy to make.

Trace of Texas

1.5 oz Desert Door Original Texas Sotol

.5 oz Paula’s Texas Grapefruit Liqueur

1 oz  Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice

1 teaspoon (1/6 oz) Wholesome Sweeteners Raw Agave Nectar

1 Slice cucumber

In a mixing glass, muddle the cucumber slice with grapefruit juice and agave nectar

Add Desert Door Original Texas Sotol, Paula’s Texas Grapefruit Liqueur and ice, cap and shake vigorously.

Strain into an old-fashioned glass over new ice.

Garnish with a grapefruit or orange slice cut into a star shape!

Trace of Texas (Border Style)

1.5 oz Desert Door Original Texas Sotol

.5 oz Paula’s Texas Grapefruit Liqueur

1 oz Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice

1 teaspoon (1/6 oz) Wholesome Sweeteners Raw Agave Nectar*

1 Slice cucumber

1 Slice jalapeño, de-seeded

Tajin seasoning for rimming the glass **

2 Dashes Bad Dog Barcraft Fire and Damnation Bitters (optional)

In a mixing glass muddle the cucumber slice and jalapeño with grapefruit juice and agave nectar

Add Desert Door Original Texas Sotol, Paula’s Texas Grapefruit Liqueur and ice, cap and shake vigorously.

Strain into an old-fashioned glass rimmed with Tajin seasoning* over new ice and top with two dashes of Bar Dog Barcraft Fire and Damnation orange bitters, if desired.

Garnish with a grapefruit or orange slice cut into a star shape.

* Wholesome Sweetners Agave Nectar is made in Texas, but you can use any agave nectar if you don't have Wholesome Sweetners brand

** Tajin seasoning was used because it is commonly available, but it is not strictly a Texas product. If you want a TRUE  Trace of Texas, use Halo Del Santo, which is actually made in Texas. You can find it on Amazon here:
https://shorturl.at/4ZwKm

Backstory

I was at my favorite bar in Austin, Opal Divine's, on a typically warm Austin day.   Michael Parker, the owner of Opals, has been my bartender for about 30 years. I told Michael that I'd like something refreshing but that I was feeling "margarita-ed out."  I added that, as I am Traces of Texas, it would be great if the cocktail was made with Texas-sourced ingredients. Michael thought for a few minutes and came up with this, which we call the Trace of Texas and it is delicious.  In all honesty, I'm not even that big of a cucumber fan and but I love this cocktail. It's drinkable, refreshing, and it doesn't feel like it's weighing me down.   While I was drinking the first-ever Trace of Texas cocktail,  Michael said "I know that you are frequently down on the border and that your friends down there can be a bit rowdier than folks here in Austin. I wonder what would happen if we spiced it up a little bit."   That's when Michael created what we call the "Trace of Texas/Border Style," which takes the basic Trace of Texas cocktail, adds a bit of jalapeno and is rimmed with Tajin seasoning, which can be purchased pretty much anywhere, including HEB and online.  All I can say is that Michael is a magician, and I think that if you make yourself a Trace of Texas, you'll agree.