Earl freakin' Campbell

Traces

I've seen a million great running backs in college and the NFL over the years. Nobody ran like "The Tyler Rose."  Watching Earl run for the Houston Oilers during the "Luv Ya Blue"  era remains among my favorite sports memories. He was something else.  My favorite Earl comment about Earl comes from Darrel Royal, who coached him at the University of Texas:  "When Earl ran, snot flew."  

Earl Campbell.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cheri Freeman said:

I miss the old Luv Ya Blue days….

You and me both, Cheri.  Seems like somehow football, and Houston, was more fun back then. That may just be one of those "you kids get off my lawn!"  statements from an old geezer, though!  AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 😀

• Like 1

I saw him tear the crap out of A&M. Something like 4 TDs and 260 yards rushing.   My dad and I have gotten into a debate as to who was the best RB to ever come out of Texas: Dickerson or Earl. My dad says Dickerson because of longevity, because he holds the NFL record for rushing yards in a season, because he had seven 1,000 yard seasons, and because he was the fastest ever to gain 10,000 yards. I say Earl because for about five years there was nobody more feared by opposing defenses.  

• Like 1