Texas Courthouses

Might need a separate forum just to cover courthouses but I wanted to share a few of the ones I've captured recently. Let's see how they hold up when I compress them enough to fit on here.

First one:  Bosque County Courthouse in Meridian. On a lark, on a whim, on one trip down to the Hill Country a few years ago I decided to adjust my usual route and with about ten minutes added to the drive I was rewarded with different views than I'm used to, and that courthouse stuck in my head until I had a chance to get by there again to get some photos and video.

DJI_0245-1-1-1.jpg

Second One:   the Wise County Courthouse in Decatur, it sits high up on the hill and offers some great views from a distance.

DJI_0889-1-1.jpg

This third one is the old Denton County Courthouse-on-the-Square, it's a museum now and has such a great look to it.

DJI_0062_Moment-1-1.jpg

This last one is the Llano County Courthouse in....Llano. I use 281 a lot when traveling north and south but 16 absolutely has its benefits.

DJI_0161-1-1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Holy smokes! Gorgeous! The sky on that first one really makes it.

It would be awesome --- especially for future generations 100 years from now ---- if you could label them like "Lee County Courthouse in Giddings, Texas:" or whatever.  Remember, we're doing this for posterity!

TOT

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Traces said:

Holy smokes! Gorgeous! The sky on that first one really makes it.

It would be awesome --- especially for future generations 100 years from now ---- if you could label them like "Lee County Courthouse in Giddings, Texas:" or whatever.  Remember, we're doing this for posterity!

TOT

Fair point! I'm always so convinced I'm just shouting into the void, I don't tend to think it's important to get into specifics.

For those browsing through and curious, the first image is the Bosque County Courthouse in Meridian. On a lark, on a whim, on one trip down to the Hill Country a few years ago I decided to adjust my usual route and with about ten minutes added to the drive I was rewarded with different views than I'm used to, and that courthouse stuck in my head until I had a chance to get by there again to get some photos and video.

Second is the Wise County Courthouse in Decatur, it sits high up on the hill and offers some great views from a distance.

Third is the old Denton County Courthouse-on-the-Square, it's a museum now and has such a great look to it.

Fourth is the Llano County Courthouse in....Llano. I use 281 a lot when traveling north and south but 16 absolutely has its benefits.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Panther City Air said:

Fair point! I'm always so convinced I'm just shouting into the void, I don't tend to think it's important to get into specifics.

For those browsing through and curious, the first image is the Bosque County Courthouse in Meridian. On a lark, on a whim, on one trip down to the Hill Country a few years ago I decided to adjust my usual route and with about ten minutes added to the drive I was rewarded with different views than I'm used to, and that courthouse stuck in my head until I had a chance to get by there again to get some photos and video.

Second is the Wise County Courthouse in Decatur, it sits high up on the hill and offers some great views from a distance.

Third is the old Denton County Courthouse-on-the-Square, it's a museum now and has such a great look to it.

Fourth is the Llano County Courthouse in....Llano. I use 281 a lot when traveling north and south but 16 absolutely has its benefits.

I think your Edit Window has gone by so I'll just edit it for you. I'll also leave our conversation here so that folks can kind of get the hang of it.

I will guarantee you that within a year you'll KNOW you're not shouting into the void.  😀

• Like 2

This isn't one of the most photogenic structures itself, but I like the hills in the background. I didn't spend a ton of time framing a shot here, I just grabbed this while enjoying some tasty wine. This is the Burnet County Courthouse in January 2022. I need to stop in again during spring or summer and see if I can get a nice image or two.

Burnet County Courthouse - small.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Bosque County courthouse in Meridian, Texas taken at night a few years ago.  I sometimes don't like the extreme angles produced my 14-mm wide angle lens and correct them in Photoshop, but I think it works for a lot of Texas courthouses.

The 1886 Bosque County Courthouse, designed by Ft. Worth architect J.J. Kane, is one of the oldest Texas courthouse structures in continuous use. The three-story limestone building is designed in high Victorian Gothic Revival style utilizing an Italianate off-center clock tower and corner turret roofs.  The appearance of the courthouse was significantly changed during a couple of overhauls, such that the tower was only half the original height.

Finally, in the 2005-2007 restoration, reconstruction of the original clock tower and the four corner roof turrets occurred. These large elements were fabricated in Paris, Texas, trucked to Meridian, and craned into position with hundreds of folks watching. Completing the restoration, historic reproduction wood windows and entry doors were installed; the district courtroom, halls, and public spaces were reopened to their full height; the original concrete floors rehabilitated, and wood wainscot paneling reconstructed.

I couldn't decide if I like it better in color or black and white.

County Courthouse in Meridian SMALL 1280.jpg

County Courthouse in Meridian SMALL 1280 BW.jpg