US 8th Cavalry Officer Soldier San Antonio 1880s

I don't know the name of this U.S. 8th Cavalry Officer in San Antonio back in the 1880s, but I do know that he was one sharp-dressed man!  What a fantastic uniform.  This was taken by photographer Alonzo Newell Calloway, Sr., who was born in Sumpter, Alabama, in 1847 and died in Tyler, Texas, in 1920.  I did find this biographical note about him:

A. N. Callaway, of Tyler, was born in Sumpter county, Ala., January 25th, 1847. Enlisted when a mere boy, the 5th of April, 1864, in Co. C. 8th Louisiana cavalry, and participated in the battle of Mansfield and the skirmishes that led up to that successful fight of Gen. Dick Taylor.

Young Callaway served with his command to the end of the war. His excellent work as artist and photographer in Tyler has gained him a reputation not confined to Texas. His wife is a native of Mississippi, being the daughter of Capt. W. B. Thompson, who commanded a company from that state during the war. His father, Wm. Janes Callaway, was a native of Georgia, a physician and a noted Baptist Minister. 

---- Source: Texans Who Wore the Gray

U.S. 8th Cavalry Officer in San Antonio back in the 1880s EBAY.jpg

• Like 1