The Corpus Christi Thread

Traces

Love it or hate it ---- and I know folks of both persuasions ----- Corpus Christi is something else. Raucous, humid, struck by the occasional hurricane, life in Corpus is never dull.  I have a rather genteel friend who has to go to Corpus a few times a year for business and he one time he said "every time I go to Corpus I feel like I'm on another planet." My response? If it's too crazy you're too old."  My personal impression is that Corpus is on an upswing over the last 10-15 years after a period of  being down.  It feels cleaner and the downtown area feels more vibrant. 

The great folks at the Texas Historical Association have a lot to say about Corpus, which has a fascinating history. Here's their take: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/corpus-christi-tx.

This great photo of Corpus Christi at Christmastime was taken during the 1950s. I'm not sure what street this is or which of these buildings still stand but I'd like to know. Courtesy the wonderful Special Collections & Archives, Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi. If you're on Facebook, please give them a follow. They post a lot of historical photos, many taken by the great Doc McGregor.

May be a black-and-white image of street and road

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 1:48 AM, Traces said:

Love it or hate it ---- and I know folks of both persuasions ----- Corpus Christi is something else. Raucous, humid, struck by the occasional hurricane, life in Corpus is never dull.  I have a rather genteel friend who has to go to Corpus a few times a year for business and he one time he said "every time I go to Corpus I feel like I'm on another planet." My response? If it's too crazy you're too old."  My personal impression is that Corpus is on an upswing over the last 10-15 years after a period of  being down.  It feels cleaner and the downtown area feels more vibrant. 

The great folks at the Texas Historical Association have a lot to say about Corpus, which has a fascinating history. Here's their take: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/corpus-christi-tx.

This great photo of Corpus Christi at Christmastime was taken during the 1950s. I'm not sure what street this is or which of these buildings still stand but I'd like to know. Courtesy the wonderful Special Collections & Archives, Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi. If you're on Facebook, please give them a follow. They post a lot of historical photos, many taken by the great Doc McGregor.

May be a black-and-white image of street and road

For some reason the image is no longer available.