Shoot Out in Decatur 1882

My Aunt was delving into family history to try to solve a mystery. My Grandmother had a middle initial B but would never talk about it or anything about her background.

My Aunt searched for the surname but hit a brick wall until a newspaper story on microfish from 1882.

The names matched those of relatives but the last names were different. When she told my Grandmother, it all came tumbling out.

Her Father & his brother had gotten ambushed at their house by a Sherriff, gunshots fired. Sherriff was killed, brother (inlaw) critically wounded, but Grandfather escaped. His wife & children loaded a wagon with their belongings and met him in Oklahoma.

They traveled to Louisiana, changed their name, then came back to Texas under a new name. My Grandmother was born under the new name but retained the middle initial B for their real surname.

My Great Grandparents are buried with the names they assumed, but now that we discovered their true identities, have traced our history back to the 1700s. 

Mystery solved & a rich legacy of early pioneer culture found!