Burleson County Girls, 1942

Traces of Texas reader Peggy Gaskamp Sanders graciously shared this nice 1942 photo of her mother, standing on this AWESOME bicycle, and two of her aunts. Says Peggy: "My mother was a tomboy and a horsewoman. Her name was Tomelane Jackson (married: Gaskamp). She is the third of four sisters. She adored her father, was raised by a very Victorian mom, and was quite the practical joker in her day. Her friends were friends for life. She is best known for her western horsemanship school for girls. I have so many "unofficial" sisters [from that school] who still revere her. She was also the keeper of family history and genealogy. Our ancestors came to Burleson County in 1833. We have a heritage ranch that has been in her family for more than 125 years."

How's that for a caption? Doesn't Tomelane sound like one of those Texas ladies who was a lot of fun to be around? I think this photo captures that spirit. Thank you, Peggy. I love this shot!

From Peggy Gaskamp Sanders Tomelane Jackson (standing) Gaskamp and sisters in Burleson County 1942.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...