The Willie Thread

Traces

"It was just so amazing to us that I could play one part and Willie could play another and together we had a song. We'd look at each other and our eyes would light up. Playing music made us realize that there was something bigger out there, something more than human life."

---- Bobbie Nelson talks about how she and her brother Willie learned to play music in Abbott, Texas, back in the 1930s, as quoted by Michael Corcoran in his great book "All Over the Map: True Heroes of Texas Music," 2017. Super interesting book. Highly recommended.

Shown here: Bobbie and Willie a few years later. Photographer unknown.

Sister Bobbie Willie Nelson.jpg

Say what you want to about Willie --- and I know that some people don't like him because of his politics, my dad being one ---- I read that Farm Aid has given away more than 150 million dollars to family farmers.  There is at least one in Refugio that I know personally who would have lost his farm if it wasn't for Willie.