Judge Roy Bean, A Photo I've Never Seen

Isn't serendipity a wonderful thing? Traces of Texas reader Forrest Jividen bought an old book about Judge Roy Bean at an Austin Antique Mall. Little did she know that it contained this postcard of the judge, which she found after purchasing it. Forrest said she's never seen this photo before and I haven't, either. It's great to see all them all smiling. Bean died in 1903 and I'm certain that this was taken within a year or two of his death.  SUPER COOL!

EDIT: For reasons that should have been obvious to me when I looked at this photo, I no longer believe that this is Judge Roy Bean. The uniforms and hats worn by the soldiers were issued AFTER Roy Bean died. I read Forrest's story about finding the postcard in the book, saw the photo, and immediately assumed it must be Roy Bean. It was my mistake. I should have looked closer. I should also note that Forrest wasn't trying to deceive me. She made the same assumption ---- natural, I think ---- that this was Roy Bean, being that she found it in an old book about the judge. MEA CULPA!

Thank you, Forrest!

From Forrest Jividen Judge Roy Bean postcard that fell out of a book about the judge that she bought in Austin.jpg

• Like 1