ANYTHING ON CULP TEXAS?

Hello, I just purchased some property in Aquilla, TX. I believe my property sits on top of what was once a town called Culp, TX. I have learned there was a Hotel & a "Hot Springs" spa in the area. Just curious if anyone might have some more information. Thank you.

David L.

7 hours ago, David L said:

Hello, I just purchased some property in Aquilla, TX. I believe my property sits on top of what was once a town called Culp, TX. I have learned there was a Hotel & a "Hot Springs" spa in the area. Just curious if anyone might have some more information. Thank you.

David L.

The community does not appear in either volume of  T. Baker Lindsay's "Ghost Towns of Texas."

Here is what the TSHA has to say about Culp, Texas:

Culp was ten miles west of Hillsboro in west central Hill County, the Cross Timbers section of the county. The site was likely settled during the late nineteenth century by William Myers, Mose Reed, and Cicero Beck. Local mineral-water springs, near which a hotel and bathhouse stood, won for the community a reputation as a health resort. A community school enrolled sixty students and employed one teacher during the 1905–06 school year. Though a post office operated locally from 1892 until sometime after 1930, Culp reported no population or business statistics during the twentieth century. The site was inundated by Aquilla Lake in the 1970s, though a church belonging to the community was still standing in 1990.