This is a picture taken of a local band in Coleman/Brown Co.  According to what I got from my grandfather,  it was taken as part of a 2-day gig to promote the Dublin Rodeo. A little research (https://americanprofile.com/articles/dublin-rodeo-history/)  indicates that the picture must have been taken no earlier than 1940--the first year the rodeo took place.  That would have put my grandfather at 31 years old. Members shown from L to R:  Alvis Griffin (my grandfather) played bass fiddle, Carlton Roberts played guitar, WD Rambo played fiddle, and Billy Pieratt (Pratt?) played piano and fiddle.  At this time in their history, they called themselves The Wranglers. As The Westerners, they also were the band that played at the 1941 opening of KBWB--the first radio station in Brownwood. Fats Montgomery (Lightcrust Doughboys) also played at the opening. 

This is a treasured piece of my family's history. AlvisGriffinCarltonRobertsW.D.RambowBillyPiratt.remini-enhanced.jpg.4f36be7cedd817034c4d28d30e2e8d04.jpg
  • Like 2