Luna Park in Houston had 50,000 lights

A ride at Luna Park in Houston, 1922. Is it just me or does the apparent construction of this ride look pretty flimsy? Maybe I'm just a wussy but those supporting cables look kind of skinny and the tower/derrick they are affixed to doesn't look like anything I'd necessarily trust.

Luna Park was an amusement park that was operated from 1924 until about 1934. The 36-acre "Coney Island of Texas" was built at a cost of $325,000 and featured a carousel, picnic areas, live entertainment (including diving horses), a dance hall with spring-supported floors, and various mechanical rides, including the Giant Skyrocket roller coaster. At night the park (located near 2200 Houston Avenue) was bathed in the light emitted from 50,000 light bulbs. While it was a trolley park, Houston's Luna Park was one of the first amusement parks to offer free automobile parking to its patrons.

I retrieved this from one of the most obscure internet places I've been to, the David Fried Coney Island Collection at Columbia University. But hey .... no digital distance too great to please the readers of this site! 😎

Luna Park Ride in Houston Texas from Frederick Fried Coney Island collection 1176.png