How I Make Black Bean Migas

Okay, it's going to sound like a stuck-up thing to say, but I make some dynamite, sorta semi-vegetarian, black-bean migas.  This is what I do:

You'll need:

• 8 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons good, chunky salsa ... the hotter the better
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
  • 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, finely chopped, seeds and pith removed
  • 1.5  cups cooked black beans, drained
  • 30 tortilla chips (tostadas), in bite-size pieces. It's somehow satisfying to break them up by hand.
  • 1 1/3  cups of grated Mexican cheese or Monterrey jack cheese or vegetarian cheese ---- which is pretty good, actually and works well

1. Lightly beat together the eggs, water and salsa in a small bowl then set it aside
  2. In a skillet, over medium-low heat, sauté the bell pepper, onion and jalapeño in the oil for 2 minutes or until onion is transparent, but not brown. Stir in the black beans.
  3. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet, and "scramble" until eggs are almost done. Add whatever protein you have on hand, or don't. Sprinkle in the broken tortilla chips, and stir well. You want to add the chips at the end, otherwise they get super soggy.  Remove the skillet from heat, and sprinkle cheese into the eggs. Stir ''em up! 
  4. Serve immediately with tortillas and whatever else you like in your migas. I have a friend who adds apple chunks. Works for him.

Makes 4 big servings

In addition, you can ---- and should ---- get an additional protein in there, like chorizo, bacon or ham.   I am agnostic on the whole meat/vegetarian thing but believe it or not soy chorizo aka Soyrizo ---- works well.   I just brown it beforehand, set it aside, and throw it in at the end.  Really enhances the flavor.  Regular chorizo works just as well, as does cooked, crumbled bacon or cooked turkey or whatever you've got.

I'll edit this and by adding a photo the next time I make it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...