Fiberglass Cloth and Bondo

LGT

My Dad sold me his 1954 Chevrolet Bel Aire for $1 the summer before my junior year at Texas A&I. He said I should have it because it had my stamp on it. In other words, there were a couple of dents in the car and he was certain I had put them there. In the photo below, you will have to use your imagination to see that it was one of the 15 bazillion white over turquoise models they turned out that year. Sadly, this is the only photo I have and it was taken ca. 1963.

That old jalopy was a six cylinder stick shift with rubber floor covering, no radio, no heater, and no air conditioner. I used one of those early Japanese transistor radios in the car for entertainment, wore a heavy coat in the winter, and used the old “460” A/C in the summer. Ol’ 54 also had a big, ugly rust line that extended almost the full width of the trunk lid. I made it even uglier with an attempted repair using some fiberglass cloth and bondo. Dang it, the instructions made that look so easy. In the end, the experience was very useful as it helped me cross one more career path off the list.

1954 Chevy.jpg

Edited by LGT
Center photo