Turn Your Head and Cough

LGT

Our sixth grade year was nearing its end.  All boys who wanted to participate in Junior High football the next Fall were instructed to go to the High School gym on a specified day to get a physical exam. A friend, and classmate, who liked to play mind games, even at that young age, told us that female nurses were going to administer ... uh … uh … a certain delicate part of the exam that involved ... er ... uh ... turning your head and coughing. I didn't believe him.

On the appointed day, I confidently went to the gym with Mr. Mind Games and several other friends. However, when I saw that, indeed, some female nurses were there, my unyielding, unreasonable, all-consuming, irrational 11 year old modesty (yeah, I was nearly a year younger than most of my classmates) propelled me back on to my J. C. Higgins Monarch bicycle and outathere. Of course, the nurses did not administer that part of the exam; nonetheless, I didn't get back into the great game until I was a High School freshman.