Javelina Memories

LGT

Today's T of T Facebook post showing javelinas in the wild brought to mind three javelina memories from back in the day at Texas A&I (now Texas A&M Kingsville). First, we frequently saw wild javelina on the campus ca. 1959-1960. Second, I lived in Baugh Hall for my first two years at A&I and there was a guy who kept a baby javelina in his dorm room for a while. When walking in the hallway, you could hear that little critter making a noise that sounded like teeth clattering. Third, a live adult javelina attended all home football games tethered by ropes to two handlers, one on either side. I recall one game where the javelina was particularly active and feisty, at one point jerking the rope out of the hands of one handler and drawing a collective gasp from the crowd. Fortunately, the handler quickly regained control of his rope and all was well again.

Edited by LGT
spelling