Essay on "The Texas Character" by Rev DB Morrill. Original 1848 letter from my family collection

My great-great-great grandfather was D.B. Morrill, an itinerant preacher that ultimately settled as pastor of the historic church in Independence and was one of Sam Houston's pastors. If you have toured the church and museum, you have likely seen photos of my GGG-grandfather and his bible. DB was the first Rev graduated from Baylor. He was mentored by the great Rev Rufus Burleson and was present when Rev Burleson baptized Sam Houston. 

The photos attached are of the letter that is in my possession and I hope to donate it to Baylor or another archive that can restore and protect them. The essay is on "The Texas Character" and is an interesting view into the thinking of a proud Texan at the time of early statehood. You can sense the frustration with northern states attitudes and there is mention of the difficulties of early life with native Americans. 

I attached my effort to write the document for readability but keep in mind that I also attempted to keep spelling and punctuation as-is from the period, so bear that in mind. Some of the script is difficult to read, so I of course may have used wrong words entirely. 

Enjoy!

image.thumb.png.580951134091fa1e141f3850d01f2dd7.png

DB Composition 01 pp 01.jpg

DB Composition 01 pp 02.5.jpg

DB Composition 01 pp 02.jpg

DB Composition 01 pp 03.jpg

DB Composition 01 pp 04.jpg

• Like 3